Thursday, September 18, 2008

We DO NOT Like Ike!

We have survived the hurricane. We were seated in the front row of the bitter bus but we made it. "Hurricane" Ike barrelled through southern Ohio on Sunday. The winds were unbelievable, like nothing I've ever seen. We lost power after church sometime on Sunday afternoon - I think it was around 2:30. We were without power until Wednesday morning. This is no way to live when you're spoiled like I am! I am not a huge fan of camping and yet, we were pretty much camping in our own home. We lost everything in our refrigerator (good-bye money) but were able to salvage our freezers because of a huge blessing. Our neighbors have a generator and were gracious enough to rig extension cords & splitters from it to both of our freezers. We are very grateful. They take great care of us!

There are still thousands without power and I am SO THANKFUL that it's not me still waiting in the dark. Gas, milk, eggs, etc are hard to come by so it certainly has been interesting and not something I truly expected would ever happen. Around us there are hardly any stores or gas stations open because they are still awaiting power to be turned back on.

School was canceled on Monday and Tuesday and delayed yesterday. Finally today is a normal day for students. Laura was pretty excited to be getting back to school.

We are eagerly looking forward to Lindsay's birthday party on Saturday. The Hodges' will be here with us to celebrate. Hope we can find some vittles for the occasion!

I will leave you with some photos from our house and from around our neighborhood.

Our backyard


The playhouse was blown apart and pieces went flying down the street.

Our neighbors on the other side of the school

Neighbors a few houses down. Poor swimming pool.


The park behind our house. The tree is across the road. There was about five feet for cars to get through. Look at how the rest of the tree is leaning. Yikes!

Neighbors down the street

Around the neighborhood


The next street over. I don't even know how these people got out of their house!


"Our" house - the one we had an offer on a few months ago. There are huge limbs across the front door and into the garage roof.

I'm off to exercise. Later!



3 comments:

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

WOW! I can't believe IKE got you guys... it's crazy to think I was all packed and ready to evac to Ohio for IKE!!!! Glad you guys are okay!

tv said...

This is NUTS! Go figure, it's like the first time Ohio has ever gotten a hurricane. I'm glad you guys are safe. I was sad there hadn't been any blog updates from Ohio in awhile, but I haven't been paying attention to the news. I'm sorry about all the venerable trees in the neighborhood...

tv said...

BTW, how cute is the latest scrapbook page you posted on etsy (Away in a Manger)?! It is aDORable!