Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of First Grade

Here I sit, crying like a big baby. My baby has arrived at school. Her first day of first grade. Her first time of going to school all day, eating lunch in the cafeteria, being away from us for 7+ hours. I am so sad and miss her already. I already sat on her bed and cried and decided I better not stay there. I'm a mess.

I know this is ultimately a good thing. It means she's growing up and another step closer to being independent. It just seems like the years have flown by too quickly. Why didn't I treasure her being little more? Why did I lose my patience a little too often? Why did I feel frustrated so much? I only hope she knows how very much I love her and believe in her. She is a sweet and kind spirit, never wishing bad for anyone. I love that about her and am proud of the little girl she has become despite my failures.

I know she will be fine. She is smart and capable. She will have fun and meet new friends and learn new things. I will be her cheerleader and support. (That means I'll only cry when she doesn't see me. :) ) I will pray for her often.


Bye Sweetheart!


Now, on a lighter note...

My last few days have been ... a bit crazy. On Saturday night Laura bumped her head in the shower (stood up into the handicap bar) and cut her foreheard open pretty bad. (I'm sure you noticed the bandaids in the above photo.) She poked her head out of the curtain and blood was dripping all down her face and body. I felt faint but remained calm. She probably could have used a few stitches but in the interest of avoiding the ER we have attemped to "butterfly" her head back together. It seems to be healing nicely. Crisis under contorl.

Yesterday I needed to run to the post office to mail off some of my most recent scrapbook orders. I ran in and when I came back out to start the van, nothing. It was dead. To make matters worse, I had left my cell phone at home. Of course, the one time I don't bring it with me. I went into the post office and they were nice and let me use the phone. I was praying that Jeremy would answer his cell phone. He did simply because he had reached into his pocket at the very moment I called and felt his photo vibrating. He left work to come rescue the three of us from the post office.

Later that afternoon, Lindsay started puking. Great, just what I need the night before school starts. She seems to be fine now. I'm not sure what that was all about. I'd prefer no more puking.

We found out that our battery was overcharging, giving the van too much power - some sort of battery malfunction. Anyway, it's fixed now for the time being...

I would like to request some less "exciting" days for a little while. Thanks.

3 comments:

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Oh no Amy! I'm so sorry you've had such horrible days! They will surely look up from here.

I am so proud of Laura going to first grade! I'm not a mother so I don't have any good words of encouragement, but hang in there and think about how great Laura is going to be. Let me know how her first day goes!

Love you!

Kristina said...

I would like to say that it gets easier as they get older...but it is just different every year. Sending my oldest off to middle school proved that. They all must grow up and there is not much we can do about it. Pray that God will teach us how to cut the cord early!

tv said...

Awww, it seems like just yesterday you were calling us from the hospital to tell us that Laura was born! She certainly is a sweet, lovely girl, and I know that you will get through the anxiety and the separation fears. *cyber hugs*

Eeek, all that stuff happening in succession is awful! Hope the rest of the week is not as eventful!

xoxo