Friday, December 12, 2008

It's just not Christmas without...

the chaos of a children's pageant/play/musical, etc. We have been practicing and getting the sets and costumes ready for months!

Last weekend was our big weekend for the children's Christmas musicals. Both sets of grandparents were able to be here - Jeremy's parents on Friday night and my parents on Sunday for the performances. Laura's age (1st-6th grade) performed "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Laura had a verse to sing from "The Holly and the Ivy" with her first grade friend and they did so good. They were so adorable and looked so little up there with all the bigger kids.


Here's Laura singing her part. (on the left)

Lindsay's age (3-Kindergarten) performed "Who Is Coming To Our House" based on the book with the same title. (If you have little ones, I highly recommend checking out this book - it is adorable!) It was the most precious performance. Some very talented writers and musicians from our church wrote the entire musical based on the book. The songs were amazing and the kids did a great job.
Lindsay was supposed to look farmer-ish - their musical was set in a barn. I found these adorable overalls and sewed little red & green felt patches over the pink flowers that were on the overalls. (How Martha Stewart am I!) They were perfect and SO CUTE on her! She absolutely, flat-out REFUSED to wear them. It made me crazy. I never (well hardly ever) force her to wear certain clothes. We all know she has her own opinion in the style department. Most of the time, I don't care what she wears because it's not worth fighting over, but this time, I cared. I did finally talk her into wearing them for the dress rehearsal but afterwards she insisted that she would not be wearing them again. I became slightly hysterical on Sunday morning - the first thing she said when she woke up was "I'm not wearing the overalls." We fought about it all morning. Eventually Jeremy was somehow able to talk her into wearing them when I left the room. Whatever he gave her or put into her savings account is between her and him. She did have to take other clothes with her to change into after her performance but at least she wore the overalls. (Ha ha, I won.)



Several times since Sunday she has commented "I'm not wearing overalls again." (Again, ha ha, I don't care, you wore them when it really counted.)

6 comments:

Bethany Dawn Burns said...

Oh, the Christmas programs both looked like so much fun(how cute!). I love the overalls! Thanks for the comments on my blog and that is why I own photoshop! I did not look that good straight out of the camera, lol.

Evan and Julia Abla said...

Sorry that I gave you so much trouble in the costuming department -- I was so glad that after all that, I still caught her singing and doing motions -- yeah Lindsay! But I think Lindsay's even giving someone the stank eye in that pic!

Kristina said...

Your hard work looks and sounds like it paid off. I just want to say.... how come our second born children have to so darn stubborn!!
Honestly I don't have a clue where they get it from.Ha!! They both looked really good! Hope you got it on video so we can see this summer. Love you guys!

Dave said...

That was too funny!!
I almost got in trouble at work for laughing out loud.
I bet Lindz will be getting a car for her 16th birthday ;)

tv said...

Awwww, too cute! I would've loved to be there to see it. I'm proud that my nieces are theatrical!

And the overalls are adorable!

Beth said...

What's this about second children being stubborn? Mine is NOT AT ALL stubborn, Ha! Little miss only wears leotards, wants nothing but pop and nandy, throws a fit if you do something wrong...

And where did Laura get that adorable scarf? She looks so cute wearing it.

I love the Charlie Brown set, it's fabulous! What fun that must have been, it looks like it was a really neat production!