Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I have a wonderful mother. I wish I was a better mother. I wish I were not so often frustrated with my children. I wish I knew all the answers to give them and the right things to say to them. I wish I never lost my patience or yelled at my children. I wish I was the mother I always pictured myself to be before I had kids.

Even though they do frustrate me sometimes and I lose my patience with them and I don't know the right answers to the challenges they bring, I am blessed to have three beautiful children. I love being their mom.

Laura (the party planning queen) was insistent that we have a Mother's Day party. She used her own money to buy pink plates, napkins and a tablecloth. She is helping Daddy make a cake. There are gifts, flower bouquet, the whole shebang.

One of the gifts she (and her class at school) made was a book of advice. It is titled "If we were going out into the world today, this is the advice we think our mothers would give us!"

Here is Laura's advice:
1. I love you
2. Brush your teeth
3. Comb your hair
4. Your special
5. Don't lie
6. Tell the truth
7. Speak loud, but slow
8. Work hard
9. Have fun
10. Play games
11. Don't smoke
12. Don't spend all your money
13. Go to church
14. Don't drink
15. Have kids

I had visions of taking adorable photos today to go with this post. This is my first Mother's Day as a mother of three after all. It's a no go. Lindsay insisted on wearing a weird outfit (not the adorable dress that matches the one her sister is wearing). Nathan has been fussy all day (except for while we were at church), etc. I give up...

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Mother's Day! You're a great mother!

tv said...

Happy Mother's Day, Amy! (And you, too, Beth!) You are both great role models for me...I've learned a lot about mothering by watching you and listening to you. Don't worry, when Baby E. is a little older, I'm sure I'll be frustrated much more often than I should. Heh. Also, my favorite piece of advice from Laura was "Speak loud, but slow." Hope it was a happy one!