Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cheer Madness

Last week Laura went to cheerleading camp in the evening at the High School. She had a great time! On the last night they performed for parents what they had been learning all week. I couldn't believe how many girls there were - I guess cheerleading is really popular around here. The kids were grouped by grades and went from K-8.

It's pretty unbelievable how competitive kids sports are these days. It seems that if they want to be able to do a sport in HS, they have to start now (if they haven't already) and be practicing constantly and doing the sport all the time. Otherwise, they won't be good enough & experienced enough to be able to do it. (For example, they told us that if the girls want to be cheerleaders, they need to be in tumbling classes right now to be learning everything they need to know.) I'm not sure I could or would want to really push one sport or activity that much. Laura really enjoys doing a variety of activities and sports and I don't think she would want to pick just one to focus all her attention on. I guess she most likely won't get the opportunity to be a star athlete/cheerleader/whatever. I'm certainly okay with that. I would rather her focus on the more important things (in my opinion) in life anyway...

Here's a few photos of the performance.

Tons of girls - all around the blue mat.


Laura's group




Not the best photo because we had to sit SO FAR away but Laura is the one to the left of the girl in the pink shorts.







5 comments:

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Adorable!!!!

Beth said...

Wow, that's crazy. I can't belive there were that many kids there.

I agree with not pushing them into something so they can be a star and that there are more important things in life to focus on!

I see that you weren't slacking and got your ebay stuff listed. I did not, I'm a sore throat slacker! I'll blame it on the sick stupid!

Dave said...

Go Laura Go!
Oh come on, I wasn't the first person thinking that, was I?

tv said...

Too cute! I wonder if HS cheerleading around Dayton is really that competitive, or they just tell you that? I know that when I was in high school, there were always a couple girls who couldn't tumble. They'd have to squat and shuffle backward while everyone else did a back handspring.

Laura is a doll!

Bethany Dawn Burns said...

How cute!!!