Friday, October 23, 2009

Little Politician

Dear Parents,

Your child had decided to participate in the "elections" and run for Student Council Rep for our class. ... Please help your child understand that only one child from the class can be chosen. This can be hard for them if they are not chosen.

This is an excerpt from a letter I received via Laura's backpack last month. I was a bit surprised as Laura tends to be on the shy side (usually) and I didn't picture her as the student council type - her dad and I certainly aren't!

Anyway, I spent most of the time before the election trying to help her prepare for the (what I thought was probably) possibility she might lose. We talked about it several times. In the meantime, she busied herself with making posters, goodie bags, and writing her speech with a little help from mom & dad.

Here is her speech:

"Hi. I am Laura and I want to be in student council. I would be a good student council rep because I am a good friend. I would make good decisions for the class, trying to make everyone happy. I listen to the teacher and do what's right. So vote for me."

Election day came and guess who came bounding off the bus yelling "Guess what mom? I won!!!" She never ceases to surprise me!

Here she is working on her poster:



I forgot to get a photo of the finished poster but it said "VOTE LAURA She never forgets her homework and she is a good friend" Lindsay helped her with that...

Here she is after her first meeting - her assignment was to create this poster for Sports Day:


And finally, just because, here is her 2nd grade school photo...

3 comments:

The Crazy Life of a Navy Wife said...

Go Laura!!!! I'm so proud :) I can't believe she's a 2nd grader!!!!

tv said...

Awww...is she THE FIRST person in the family to be elected to student council? Because her Uncle Ken and Aunt Valli definitely aren't the type, either. ;-) Love it! She is growing up so fast. And she's so beautiful, too.

Dave said...

Good Job Laura! Taking after her uncle Dave in politics. She is getting so big.